Esports is COMING SOON to the Janesville YMCA!
FUN, SAFE and SUPERVISED ONLINE GAMING! The YMCA of Northern Rock County is excited to launch Esports programming at the Janesville YMCA late 2023! Stay tuned for more info – coming soon!
Fortnite is a survival game where 100 players fight against each other in player versus player combat to be the last one standing. It is a fast-paced, action-packed game, not unlike The Hunger Games, where strategic thinking is a must in order to survive.
Rocket League is a fantastical sport-based video game, developed by Psyonix (it’s “soccer with cars”). It features a competitive game mode based on teamwork and outmaneuvering opponents. Players work with their team to advance the ball down the field, and score goals in their opponents’ net.
SUPER SMASH BROS.
Nintendo’s most beloved characters such as Mario, Link, and more, clash in the ultimate showdown. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is a platform fighter for up to eight players in which characters from Nintendo games and third-party franchises fight to knock each other out of an arena.
Super Mario Kart is a kart racing game featuring several single and multiplayer modes. During the game, players take control of one of eight Mario franchise characters, each with differing capabilities, and drive karts around tracks with a Mario franchise theme.
Esports at the Y helps your child...
Build Self Confidence
When kids are active in Esports, their self-esteem grows as they learn how sharp their minds are and they develop the mental skills of the game and self-reliance.
Being a good sport shows respect for others and helps keep the game in perspective. Understanding sportsmanship fosters positive habits – in online and offline sports!
Gain New Skills
Kids learn the basics of online gaming and refine existing skills under the supervision of caring, skilled, and supportive coaches. Creativity and resilience are key in Esports!
Practicing any sport regularly helps kids learn the importance of discipline, organization, showing self-control, and staying focused. Esports takes dedication like any other sport.
Frequently Asked Questions
Competitive video games or electronic sports (Esports) have boomed in popularity in recent years and have become the next big thing in youth recreation. Esports is playing games against teams in an organized competition or match.
Kids will have the opportunity play a variety of games including Super Smash Bros, Rocket League, Fortnite and MarioKart.
No, the Y Esports program is open to members and community participants (CPs).
Bringing own equipment is allowed but not necessary.
- Improved hand-eye coordination
- Improved attention & visual acuity
- Improved basic visual processing and executive function
- Problem-solving & strategy skill development
- 71% of parents report gaming having net positive effects for children
- Boosts self-confidence and player socialization
- 54% of gamers say gaming helps them connect with friends
- At least 30 Wisconsin high schools participate in the Wisconsin high school esports association
- In the span of just five years, over 125 higher education institutions have created varsity collegiate Esports programs including UW-Stout, North Central tech in Wausau, and Edgewood college in Madison
- More than thirty U.S. colleges and universities offer scholarships for gamers